Beli E-book dan jana WANG!

Thursday, December 16, 2010

First clinical practice abroad

Today was the first day of my clinical practice and PBL session in Ayr hospital. And I guessed it was also the new experience getting into a hospital in UK. The day before, I was really anxious as I did not really know how my journey to Ayr would be as I only had some ideas of getting there by just searching in Google. Alhamdulillah. The journey was smooth and without any difficulty.

I departed from my house at 6.30am after eating my breakfast(fried pasta of last night leftover) and preparing my lunchbox which was wholemeal sandwiches.

I cycled in the drizzle heading to Glasgow central rail station without very vague ideas of where and how to get there. Alhamdulillah. I got myself to the station safely and bought anytime return ticket to Ayr rail station for GBP12.

I boarded the train which I would say it 98% looked like KTM commuter back in Malaysia. I was wondering, where am I exactly? Everything was seemed to be familiar as if I was on my way to Seremban from KL central. The arriving train from Ayr was crowded with people, just like back home. Maybe the differences were the people were caucasian and the temperature was sub zero.

So the train took almost an hour to get to its final destination which was Ayr. When I arrived in Ayr rail station, I made my way to the bus stop waiting for stagecoach bus no 52 which would get me to Ayr hospital. I noticed something interesting and mind intriguing: I saw lorry/machine spraying salt which was brown onto the road. I was thinking what was that for during this autumn season?

I managed to get to the Ayr hospital after asking the bus driver right before I was about to alighting from the bus at the wrong bus stop.

In the hospital I looked for the undergraduate teaching centre which was not in the map/legend in the hospital entrance wall. After inquired the reception I did not find it directly as she only gave me direction to the floor, not the room. And I was wandering in the building. Luckily, I met Jane and Ross, one of the st. Andrews friend that I knew of. He asked the the staff there and we got to know where was our group should be meeting.

By 10 am, our clinical teacher and undergraduate admin came and started with the introduction. We were divided into 2 groups. First group would be learning from bedside teaching for today session while the other group would only wait for PBL session at 1pm as their bedside teaching session would be this coming Friday morning. Each group has the chance for clinical practice once a week.

Our clinical teacher briefed and recapitulated to us about the history taking and examination sequence. After that we were taken to meet 2 patients who had cardiovascular problems. The first patient that we interviewed and examined had a history of MI and signs of heart failure. The second patient described to us that he had infective endocarditis. We had the opportunity to listen to murmur from this patient which amazing. It was a fantastic experience of bedside teaching. Thank you so much for our clinical teacher.

We finished the session at 12pm and had my lunch with my groupmates. I ate my lunch which I had brought from home this morning. I excused myself and went to the quiet room next to the chapel at ground floor for zuhur prayer. I felt very thankful as I got to be posted here as it was quite conducive to perform solah.

At 1 pm, PBL session start. We began with volunteering for the post of group leader and the scriber. Graham and Angela volunteered themselves. The same clinical teacher became our facilitator for the PBL session. He showed us how to use the electronic whiteboard which use projector. He said that the cost for the facility was GBP25k..what a waste if not use unlucky we were, the projector lamp need to be replaced. However, I felt amazed as this was the first time I saw such a thing.

We continued with the PBL session as how it should be conducted based on Glasgow steps.

Our final diagnosis was acute limb ischaemia under sub topic of peripheral vascular disease (PVD)

We ended the session at 2.20pm.

Before calling it a day, I personally felt that this clinical practice was an amazing experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment